[Linux] [Bram@::1: Sven Guckes passed away]

Marc Chantreux mc@::1
Mar 22 Fév 11:32:33 CET 2022

Salut à tous,

C'était difficile de ne pas avoir échangé une fois au moins avec
Sven si vous vous intéressiez à des outils comme vim ou mutt dans les
années 90. Il partageais avec patience, pédagogie et énergie une expertise
impressionnante. Je lisais toutes les réponses de Sven juste parce
que même quand j'avais des solutions en tête, la qualité des siennes
était en général largement supérieure.

Il fait partie de ces personnes qui, par leur exemple, nous inspirent
les valeurs humaines qui doivent rester les piliers de notre communauté.

:s/v/en, Requiescat In Pace.

----- Message transféré de Bram Moolenaar <Bram@::1> -----

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:48:43 +0000
From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@::1>
To: vim_announce@::1, vim_dev@::1, vim_use@::1,
	vim_mac@::1
Subject: Sven Guckes passed away

Forwarding this text from Antonio Colombo:

==================

Our friend Sven Guckes died in Berlin on February 20, 2022.
He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in December 2021.
He went to a hospital, but surgeons could not do much for him.
At the end of January he was moved to a Hospice.
A group of friends has been with him as much as possible during all his
sickness.
He died while Pugs, one of his friends, was with him.
They had just finished a chat, and Sven was smiling, but then he quieted
down and in a few moments he did not breathe any more.

Sven (when he was still a student at the Free University of Berlin) was very
active in the Vim development team in the Nineties. He was the one who set
up the vim.org domain. Later on he had the idea of "What is Vim?", an
explanation of Vim in six kilobytes, and helped with some versions of
Vimtutor.

Sven worked (and gave talks) also on a lot of other free software projects,
let us remember here just "plain" vi and mutt, but there are several
others. He had friends all over the world, and helped them, for software
problems and for real life problems in any way he could.

Let us recall here just one of his "pet projects", the mythical
"alternate.fan.warlord" FAQ, in which appears one of his signatures,
in newsgroup alt.fan.warlord.

Vale, Sven!

==================

I met Sven only a couple of times.  What I remember most is his never
ending enthusiasm.  He was a good person.

I would like to dedicate the upcoming Vim 9.0 release to Sven in his
memory.

Article in German: https://linuxnews.de/2022/02/sven-guckes-verstorben/
Hacker news: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30410077

--
91. It's Saturday afternoon in the middle of May and you
    are on computer.

----- Fin du message transféré -----

--
Marc Chantreux
Direction du numérique de l'Université de Strasbourg